I have contemplated using so many different titles for this particular post! Here are some that I have come up with: “Do what I say, not what I do”, “Extra indulgences do not serve you well!”, “Two steps forward and one step back”, “A bad week was bound to happen some time”, “The week I wish I could go back and re-do, and “my worst results yet“.
This week, I found myself exhibiting old tendencies. I allowed myself to over indulge on the Valentine’s cookies. (I do believe that hormones played a large role in my desire to eat all the things). Then I went to the opposite extreme with a 36 hour intermittent fast in order to offset my excessive eating, eliminate the sugar addiction which I had been nurturing, and get my mind and body back into a healthier atmosphere. This is the exact behavior that doesn’t serve us well. WE DO NOT NEED TO ACT IN EXTREMES IN ORDER TO SUCCESSFULLY LOSE WEIGHT (I can’t decide if I just yelled that sentence at you or just me…). You’ll even see from my bioelectrical impedance and tape measure results, below, that I just ended my week slightly worse than last week.
The fast did serve its purpose. I do feel freed of the burning desire to ceaselessly eat all things sugar. My mind is clearer, and I feel ready to make food decisions with logic rather than emotions. I contemplated making it a 72 hour fast. But when I went to the gym for my own workout, early this morning, I had zero energy and the weights I usually lift felt heavier than normal. My workout was really only about 20 minutes vs. my normal 55-60 minutes. After three sets of the three exercise circuit I was doing, I decided I was finished and wanted to go pop into the grocery store, instead. I decided, then, that if I can’t even do the exercise that I love to do, then I have given sufficient time to my fast.
Enough of that. Let’s just get these results over with, shall we?
End of Week 7: Before and After Pictures
Week 7 Food Journal:
I’ve decided to go ahead and drop one of my less painful journal entries here. This is my entry from the day before my eating turned upside down. If you want to see the extent of my rebellion, go ahead and look at the rest of the food journal entries at the bottom of the page!
I’m going to be winging it with my food intake tomorrow. But I am committed to making all the numbers align to be within my target calorie and macronutrient range.
Week 7 bioelectrical impedance results:
It’s time to face the numbers…
My total body weight: 134.7 lbs (Up .4 lbs from the last week. Total of 8.2 lb. lost since start date).
Breaking my total body weight down into different categories of body composition
- Total Body water: 78.5 lb. (Decrease of 0.4 lbs since last week, and increase of 0.2 lbs since start date).
- Dry lean mass: 28.9 lb. (Decrease of 0.3 lbs since last week. Decrease of 0.2 lbs since my first weigh in. Remember that this includes muscle, organs, and bone minus any fluid)
- Body fat mass: 27.3 lb. (This was a 1.1 lbs increase from last week. Total of 8.2 lbs of fat lost since start date!)
- Skeletal muscle mass: 60.2 lb. (Decrease of 0.4 lbs from last week. Total of 0.6 lbs increase in muscle since start date)
- BMI: 23.1 (Increase of 0.1 since last week. Total BMI decrease of 1.4 since start date)
- Body fat percentage: 20.3% (This increased by 0.8% from last week. Total of 4.5% decrease in body fat percentage since start date.)
- Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR): 1422 calories (This decreased by 7 calories.)
- Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE): 2201 calories (This actually stayed the same from last week)
- Calorie target range for weight loss: 1560 calories (I’m keeping this target range the same)
Week 7 Measuring Tape Results:
- Right calf (measured at widest part): 14 3/8 inches (Decreased 1/8 inch from last week, and down 1/2 inch from first measurement)
- Right thigh (measured at widest part): 21 7/8 inches (Down 1/4 inch from last week, and down 1 1/8 inch from first measurement)
- Hips (measured at widest part): 38 1/2 inches (Up 1/4 inch from last week, Down 4 1/4 inches from first measurement)
- Butt (measured at widest part): 37 1/8 inches (Same as last week. Down 2 1/4 inch from first measurement.)
- Right below my muffin top: 34 1/4 inches (Up 1/4 inch from last week, and down 1 3/4 inch from first measurement)
- Waistline (measured across belly button): 33 1/2 inches (Up 3/8 inch from last week, and down 1 3/4 inch from first measurement)
- Chest (measured at widest part): 36 7/8 inches (Up 1/4 inch from last week. Down 7/8 inch from first measurement.)
- Shoulders (measured at widest part): 40 inches (Same as last week. Down 1/2 inch from first measurement)
- Biceps: (measured at widest part): 11 1/8 inches (Down 1/4 inch from last week, and 3/4 inch from first measurement).
I shrunk in some funny places, namely my calves and biceps, and expanded almost everywhere else! But with all of the ovarian cramping I’ve had yesterday and today, I’m convinced that my menstrual cycle factors into the events of this week (Wanting to eat EVERYTHING, and the extra bloat in my midsection. Or maybe I’m just trying to justify away my less than perfect behavior…)
This is What My Workouts Looked like:
What’s done is done. I can’t change the past. The sky didn’t fall down with all of my extra indulgences. This week is simply a hiccup. I’ve had the privilege of gaining a very clear picture of the consequences of too much indulging. It’s also productive for me to see that 36 hours of fasting isn’t enough to erase three days of excessive eating. That erasing will only happen with my consistent, slow and steady, efforts at sticking with my nutrition plan. I’m fully committed. I’m mentally prepared to say a resounding “NO” to every tiny distraction that is hell-bent on derailing me. I will not be derailed. I want this badly! Also, I don’t want to have any other week in the future of my journey to turn out like this one!
Here’s to forward progress, Marching on! (And now there is all of a sudden a OneRepublic song stuck in my head. I love them!)
Anyway, talk to you soon!
Experience the new found confidence in yourself! Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.
Here are my Food Logs from the Rest of my Week:
(The ones that I really don’t want you to look at!)
Saturday, February 13
I only logged my food up until my indulgence meal, so these pics don’t tell the full story. For our indulgence date night, we ate at CAVA, and had cookies from Crumbl
Sunday, February 14
Monday, February 15
Tuesday, February 16
This was, hands down, my binge-iest day! (Yes, I did just make up a new word, there!). I actually stopped tracking my food later in the day, but for sure, ate at least a few hundred more calories. (It’s fine… we’re moving forward)
Wednesday, February 17
The day that I fasted
Thursday, February 18th
Still didn’t align my numbers, just right. Tomorrow’s the day that will happen!