Estimated time: You Decide (15 mins, 30 mins, 45 mins)
As I have been thinking through some of the many workout ideas I could share with you, I really wanted to show you how you can get an amazing workout without any equipment that you don’t already have (especially given the current COVID environment when your gym might be closed or you prefer working out at home still). I’ve chosen the one thing that you, for sure, have in your home or at the park: a step of some sort. This may look different for everyone. Some of you might be able to use the stairs in your home. You may choose to use a kitchen chair, step stool, front porch, couch seat, playground stairs, park bench, or a combination of these.
This total body workout is a circuit style program which promises to get your heart rate up while also helping to strengthen your muscles. This is the type of workout that revs up your metabolism, and in turn helps to burn unwanted fat. There are 10 exercises in the circuit. You’ll perform each exercise consecutively until you’ve made it through the whole list. Perform each exercise for 45-60 seconds with 15-30 seconds of rest in between. If you’re a beginner, then one time through might feel like plenty. If you’re further advanced, see if you can make it through the whole circuit three if not four times. Be sure to take a short rest period of two minutes, each time, before starting the circuit again.
Have fun with it! Blast your favorite tunes that make you want to move! My favorites: “The Fighter” by Gym Class Heroes and Ryan Tedder, “Drop That” by Jacob Plant, and “Whatever it Takes” by Imagine Dragons, (who am I kidding?! almost everything by One Republic and Imagine Dragons!).
Alright, here’s the workout:
Begin with a brisk 5 minute walk or jog up and down the stairs.
- Step ups or toe taps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p52srURAK-o
- Stair tricep dips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMBNgZLGLhs
- Incline mountain climbers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku7pUYOkYyE
- Donkey kick jumps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSz8EQN3KUk
- The gal in the video isn’t using a chair/stair/box, the intensity is increased without an elevated step to place your hands on
- Decline plank https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3I4zqn1ACE
- She’s using a yoga/stability ball, but you’ll get the same effect with whatever type of elevated step that you’re using
- Stair crawl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7ZY-6LK-ts
- If you don’t have stairs, bear crawl on a flat surface!
- Incline push up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IICgggYJjw
- Lateral step up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJTt5WZ7RYU
- Split squat on stairs (or chair): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXHfkJ5CK2Y
- Elevated glute bridge https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlth_Of9LEc
(One of these days I’ll start making my own videos of these exercises, but until then, this will have to do…)
And there you have it! Do this workout two or three times during the week, and work in some cardio the other days! Let me know if you completed this workout, and which exercise you loved (or hated) the most (If I were an emoji person, I’d insert a “winky face” here)!
Talk to you soon!
Experience the new found confidence in yourself! Get New Content delivered directly to your inbox.